Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's Looking A Little Greener Over Here!

I just wanted to share a couple of things we've started doing around our house to be a little more 'green' and my frugal attemps.




For starters I am only buying groceries once a week now. I haven't been to Wal-Mart in awhile because I have only been buying groceries from Kroger. Usually every Wednesday night after we get the 'Sale flyer' from Kroger I make my shopping list for the next week from that. I have only been buying 'good deal' items and that's what we live on for the next 7 days. I have only been spending $90 a week on groceries and I am super excited to be feeding 6 people off of that!!! (7 if you count the little boy I keep during the day!)
Now, I have to admit that I don't have to buy much meat because my parents usually send beef home with us when we visit them. But I ALWAYS buy chicken, pork and sometimes ground turkey when they are super cheap. This last shopping trip, I did spend $120 but it was for Easter and we wanted some extras to eat!

And when I go shopping I am sure to take in MY BAGS with me so that I don't have to use the plastic ones!! This was hard for me at first. I would leave them in the back of the van and be at the door before I would realize I needed to go back and get them. So, I would turn around and go get them, with baby on hip and ALL 3 children following me! (Sometimes I feel like a mother duck with all her babies behind her. Does anyone else ever picture themselves that way?)

Okay, back to what I'm talking about:

We also made our own compost bin using a tutorial from The Happy Housewife

This has probably been one of the hardest things for me to do believe it or not. Just because I have to remember what NOT to throw in the trash anymore.

We also recycle because the town we live in picks up recyclables every Thursday. You don't even have to sort it. Just put it ALL in ONE bag and they pick it up! Recycling has never been so easy!!

I'm also cloth diapering which is saving a ton of waste! I don't have a picture of the diapers I'm using right now. But I seriously can not believe I waited so long to do this!

We also hardly ever use paper towels any more. The holder has been empty for 3 days and nobody seems to have noticed. I have a basket of cloth napkins on our kitchen table that the kids use for just about every kind of clean up, i.e. spilt milk, water, cleaning glasses, boogers!

And now for our newest venture:

Hanging our clothes out on the line!!

I told my mom I was doing this and she asked if I was crazy. She asked me if I remembered how stiff everything got and that the birds would probably poop on my clothes!! I told her that I remebered and if the birds did poop than I would just wash them again!!

And, YES. I did have to hang some pants on the fence.

I waited too long to do laundry so I was trying to get everything caught up and I ran out of line!

Are you doing anything green? I'd love to hear about it!

6 What's On Your Mind:

julie & joe said...

The laundry is funny! We recycle...hopefully we get the truck back soon, the pile is getting high.

Naomi Ockeman said...

wow! a clothes line, you rock!!
I can't seem to find the time (energy) to do the laundry, much less add more work by putting it outside :D

PLUS you know we live in the damn middle of a dirt pile, I would just have to rewash them again n again....
wind+dirt, don't make good things for a clothes line :D lol

Karen said...

Wow girl.....you went to town on the 'green' thing.

Your grocery bill is impressive. My mom use to feed a family of 7, five of them teenage or adult on less than $200.00 a month. I still don't know how she pulled that off. Of course that was in the 80's and thing cost a bit less.

I need to try the compost thing.

LissaNaylor said...

Way to go! Denton used to have a weekly recycle thing (God love Texas!) but Indiana apparently could care less about the environment! We are wanting to start a compost bin and do pretty good at bringing our own grocery bags, cloth napkins, and no paper towels- it does save some money too! I am impressed with the grocery bill- we easily spend about $125 at Wal Mart each week- and it is just us 3....I need some tips girl! :) Very impressive! At least your clothes don't smell like dairy cows...I remember that growning up every time my mom would hang out clothes on the line! Ha! By the way...have you heard of this container you can buy that sits on your counter and collects your daily compost stuff? It contains all the smell so you only have to make 1 or 2 trips a week to the compost bin? Not like it is that far but you know us Americans- if we can make it easier we will! :)

Tina Butler said...

Ok Jess you have inspired me to go and make a compost bin. I can really use it for our vegetable garden I guess i know what we will be doing this weekend.

Jennifer said...

You are doing awesome! Love your creativity on hanging clothes.

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers